Friday, October 5, 2012

Gluten Free Crock Pot Enchiladas


 
I wanted to share one of our favorite recipes.
 
My 5 year old calls these  just "Chiladas."  I love that. (:
 
 Remember in This post I shared how I meal plan? Well this is one of my Go-to crock pot meals that we as a family will all eat. *Angels Singing*
 
I also make these up on a Saturday night in the Crock pot insert, refrigerate overnight and then drop in the slow cooker on Sunday morning. When we come home from church these are hot, cheesy and ready to eat.
Now, I know these do not resemble a traditional enchilada. My Mother-In-Law showed me how she layers her enchiladas instead of rolling them individually and it was life changing for me.
You won't be wasting your time rolling an unmentionable amount of these, just layer like a lasagna and you are done.
 
Here is what you will need:
 
 
Gluten Free Crock Pot Enchiladas
 
1 1/2lbs.  Cooked Shredded Beef
2 C. Crushed Corn Chips
2 C. Shredded Cheese (Any that you like I used Colby Jack)
12 Corn Tortillas or Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas 
 
For the Enchilada Sauce
 
3 Tbs. Tomato Paste
3Tbs. Butter
3 Tbs. Rice Flour
1 1/2 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tbs. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
4 Tbs. Honey or 1 Tbs. Agave
1 Qt. Beef Broth
 
 
I usually make these with shredded beef. However, you may use whatever leftover meat you might have. Shredded Chicken or Turkey, ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey would be great too. I usually cook a roast in the crock pot once a week this is what I use the leftover meat for.
 
Now if you are familiar with making gravy with a Roux, the enchilada sauce should be really easy for you, if you have know idea what a Roux is.....it is simple.... have all of your ingredients measured and ready to go and just follow the steps....Oh and don't leave your stove. (:
 
Melt your butter and add your flour......Let this cook on low to medium heat. Let it bubble stirring constantly about 1 minute. You want to cook the raw flour taste out.
 
After 1 minute add the Tomato Paste...continue to stir and let it cook for 30 seconds or so.
 
 
Whatever you do.....do not stop stirring (:
 
Add your spices
Let the spices cook for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant
 
 
Add your beef broth slowly while you stir......try to get all of the lumps out...
 

 
You will get a thick tomato gravy just like this....
Then I decided to add one Chipotle pepper last minute, but you can add one more if you like the heat......La Costena Chipotle Peppers are gluten free. I just mix it in to break it up.
 
 
Add the honey(agave is a great option too.) Taste and make sure to check for sweetness, I like mine sweet!
 Also if you find the sauce to spicy add more honey it will cut through the heat.


 
Now you are done with the enchilada sauce. Taste and adjust your salt, honey and spices.
 
How to Assemble:
 
I did not have any corn tortillas Argh......and so I made These
 I just split my dough into 3 portions and made 3 big tortillas. It took me all of 10 minutes and cooking them on my pancake griddle made it easy.
 
I put about 1/2 c. of the sauce on the bottom and cover with a tortilla
 
 
Add more sauce and 1/3 of the meat
 
 
Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the crushed tortilla chips.
I save the crushed tortilla chips from the bottom of  every bag, for this purpose. It seems that the bottom half is always crushed anyways...
 
 
Repeat the layers 3 times........

 
You can add more layers if you would like to....Finish with the last layer of cheese and bake in a crock pot for at least 4 hours.
 
If you would rather bake them in a conventional oven, prepare in a casserole dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbling.

 
 
I made these yesterday afternoon since we would be at Soccer in the evening. It was a great meal to come home to after a cold, snowy (yes snow) game.
 
Garnish with Sour Cream, Salsa and a side of Tortilla chips.....our favorite GF brad is Garden of Eatin
 
You could easily make these non-gluten free if you like....just use flour tortillas and regular wheat flour for the roux.....This is how I used to make them before we went Gluten Free.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 

Blessings!
 
Prairie Mama
 
 
 







 
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for taking the time to comment. Bless you today!

 
© Little Mama on the Prairie
CoffeeShop Designs